Out for Sport is very excited to be launching our bid for London to host the EuroGames® in 2025.
London’s LGBT+ sports clubs have been competing in vast numbers in international LGBT+ tournaments for many years. We have enjoyed the hospitality of other cities and witnessed the benefits which the event brings to host clubs, host nations and…most importantly…to the participants.
We know the feeling that you get from taking part in the best LGBT+ tournaments – a feeling of being part of a bigger movement, but held in a safe and friendly space. The chance not just to compete, but to have unique, fun and life-changing experiences. To leave walking taller than before.
That’s why we’re shaping our bid around three values:
- A community led games – A EuroGames led by London’s inclusive sports teams and community groups, who have the experience and knowledge to deliver an outstanding event for all participants.
- A fun festival spirit – A EuroGames which brings us together across just a handful of lively, friendly, festival-style sites, ensuring that every participant feels part of the experience.
- A real legacy – A EuroGames that leaves a legacy of its own for every participant. New friendships. New networks. New skills learned in the times between competition. Not just taking home inspiration, but also the tools to grow and transform LGBT+ sport back home.
And that’s also why were shaping our bid around just three venues in East London:
- The Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park & Lee Valley Regional Park;
- Redbridge Sports &Leisure, in Fairlop; and
- The Royal Docks.
We want as many sports as possible to be clustered together. Because it’s not just about the sport.
Sure, come for the swimming or badminton, in world-class venues designed for the 2012 Olympics. But make the most of the time between your matches. In open workshops on inclusion or social media, watching other sports, at cultural events, or just a friendly pub space.
So we’re excited and bursting with ideas, but we can’t do this alone. Luckily we don’t need to…we’re in one of the most diverse cities in the world, packed full of talented queer people…so if you’d like to help out, send us a message on Insta, Twitter, Facebook or at London.email@example.com.
After the upheaval of the past couple of years, Out for Sport’s clubs are keener than ever to show that London is everyone’s city, and to welcome the world to our home.
Alex Davis & Matthew Hill
(Co-Chairs, London Eurogames 2025 Bid Organising Committee)
- For more information, or to volunteer your support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a message on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
- The EuroGames® is a European multi-sport event governed by the EGLSF (European Gay & Lesbian Sport Federation). It is the largest multi-sport event for athletes, regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation in Europe. For more details, visit www.eglsf.info
- The London 2025 Bid Committee is being led by Out for Sport. Our Committee of volunteers is drawn from our London’s LGBT+ community sports clubs, cultural organisations and community groups. We are grateful for the support of London & Partners, the Greater London Authority and our proposed sports venues in putting together our bid.
- Out for Sport is the umbrella body for London’s LGBT+ grassroots sports clubs, whose 52 member clubs represent more than 30 sports and activities, with thousands of members. They cover everything from golf and cricket to line dancing and synchronised swimming. Some of our clubs have been going for 30+ years, while the newest started during the last year. For more information, see outforsport.com .